Have you ever wondered what it’s like for women in the military?
I took my curiosity to 9+ years recently transitioned veteran, R’Banney B., to hear her voice her experiences and perspective from a Black woman’s eyes.
Here’s what we discussed:
- Female/male separation in basic training
- The reaction she receives when people learn she’s an army soldier
- What it’s like dealing with a menstrual cycle in combat
- Stereotypes of Black female soldiers
- How the military is being a safe space for women
- The recent lift of the hair bans targeted to Black hair
- Encounters with women bashing women
- The differences between Obama-Biden administration and Trump-Pence administration
- The “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and recent policies for LGBTQ soldiers.